Thursday, May 12, 2011

So... what's going on in Jenn's church lately that has her all stressed out?

This was also posted as a note on FB.  It's been a very long time since I've posted on this blog, but I think it's time I dusted it off and started writing again.  This issue has me needing to "think out loud on paper".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a lot of friends.  Some are Christian; a lot aren't.  Some are Presbyterian; most aren't.  Some are gay; some are lesbian; some are bi; some are straight; some don't know; some don't care; some gave up talking about it decades ago.

This isn't the place to argue any of those points.  If you want to debate if Jesus is Lord, find another venue.  If you want to argue that homosexuality is a choice, not a trait, go somewhere else.  I do NOT want to argue that here.

Now that we've cleared that up.  Let me give a little background information about my Church and my denomination - because it's important for this discussion.

The Presbyterian Church (USA) [PCUSA] is structured a lot like the US government: local churches are part of a Presbytery (several counties, usually).  Several Presbyteries make a Synod and the Synods combine into the General Assembly.  It's a representational government - each church has representation at the Presbytery, each Presbytery at the Synod, etc.  We have local jurisdiction but believe in the power of the greater Church and agree to be united together under the General Assembly [GA].  It is at the Bi-Annual meeting of the GA that ammendments to our Church's constitution are voted on and sent out to the local churches to be voted on, if necessary.  This last year (2010), Amendment 10A passed and was sent out to be approved by the churches.  It had to get a majority vote.

This portion of our Constitution discusses the ordination of the leaders of the church (deacons, elders and pastors).  There are standards set for these leaders and the previous wording (adopted in 1997) read:

Those who are called to office in the church are to lead a life in obedience to Scripture and in conformity to the historic confessional standards of the church. Among these standards is the requirement to live either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman (W-4.9001), or chastity in singleness. Persons refusing to repent of any self-acknowledged practice which the confessions call sin shall not be ordained and/or installed as deacons, elders, or ministers of the Word and Sacrament.[G6.0106b]

Note the bold and underlined part.  This is what is causing the issue.  Marriage or chastity in singleness.  So, this prevents anyone in a sexual relationship outside of marriage from serving in a leadership role - including, and especially, anyone who is living openly as an homosexual.
This is not meant as an act of descrimination.  It is not meant to belittle or demean or upset.  It is following scripture - or one reading of it.  And so, for the last 14 years, it has been.  There have been numerous studies and reports and attempts to change it.  Lots of votes and committees and proposed amendments, but none have gotten as far as 10A.  And none had passed.

10A wording was different and passed through GA in 2010.  G6.0106b would now read:
Standards for ordained service reflect the church’s desire to submit joyfully to the Lordship of Jesus Christ in all aspects of life (G-1.0000). The governing body responsible for ordination and/or installation (G.14.0240; G-14.0450) shall examine each candidate’s calling, gifts, preparation, and suitability for the responsibilities of office. The examination shall include, but not be limited to, a determination of the candidate’s ability and commitment to fulfill all requirements as expressed in the constitutional questions for ordination and installation (W-4.4003). Governing bodies shall be guided by Scripture and the confessions in applying standards to individual candidates.

This new wording removes the obvious prohibition, and so for many seems to open the door to the ordination of openly homosexual members.  And perhaps it does.

But, not necessarily.

What the amendment says is that things are as they always have been.  Local churches and Presbyteries have the responsibility, as they always have, to examine candidates to determine their call, gifts, preparation and suitability for the responsibility for office.  That actually is exactly the same as it always has been.  The "measuring stick" is Scripture and confessions, as always.

While the removal of the explicit wording does open the door for a great deal more freedom, we still retain the responsibility to ensure that we are examining our hearts and minds; praying that we are being led by the Spirit in a direction that God is actually leading us, not that society is pushing us.

For myself, I have much more study to do on the actual issue of the ordination of homosexuals.  I am no expert.  I do not understand what Scripture has to say on the matter, not really.  Nor do I wish to rush to judgment simply because the NYTimes proclaimed this a triumph for Gay Presbyterian ministers.

I have no desire to offend.  I love my friends dearly and I hope they know that and understand the struggle I have is not about them personally.  This is not a struggle about individuals or even people, really.  This is a theological struggle that I'm having.

I have had this same struggle with the ordination of Women, actually.  For years I was fully against it.  Yes, me.  The woman who is 1/2 way through the degree to be a preacher woman.  The woman who fully embraces the calling that God has placed on her to use her mouth and tongue and lips and words (and today, her fingers) to preach.  God showed me the truth.  But in the right time and place.  And only when I was ready.  And so I believe He will again on this issue.  Allow me the time to wrestle, my friends.  Wrestle with me.  Read things.  Post things.  Question.  But do it nicely.  Don't alienate me, please.  Let's work through this together.

I trust that God is doing a mighty thing in His Church right now.  And we just need to trust that we will eventually see what the point was...   For now, I pray for peace, and maturity, and an open heart and mind as I wrestle through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment