Friday, December 21, 2012

In the bleak midwinter - where is the light?


The Longest Night

Tonight is the literal longest night of the year.  It's part of the rotation of the Earth on it's axis and all that science-y stuff.  The important part for today's post is that we have the least number of daylight hours - and the most darkness.


And so, it is fitting that we consider the darkness today.


Did you know that not everyone you meet is happy that it's the holiday season?  The cheery carols and incessant music on the radio from Thanksgiving until New Year isn't welcome in every home.  The twinkling lights don't always bring a smile to someone's face.

For some, this time of year is a bitter reminder of their loneliness or loss or illness.  Maybe your neighbor didn't put the lights up this year because her husband - who usually did the job - is in the hospital, dying.  Maybe the grumpy teenager who seems disrespectful of your traditions is really struggling with abuse and can't abide with our jolly images of a Father Christmas who is nothing like the father he knows.  The simple invitation given to a single co-worker asking them to join your family for dinner can be a reminder of how alone they are and how far away family is.

For countless reasons, there are people who struggle and claw and fight their way through the "holiday season" just waiting for it to all end.  Waiting for the lights and songs and shiny gifts to go away and leave them alone again.

For most of Advent, we are looking forward.  We eagerly anticipate the birth - and Second Coming - of our Savior.  We use words like hope and peace and joy but we forget that those feelings exist because of the existence of the opposite: pessimism or despair or depression.  For many, it is hard (and sometimes near to impossible) to see the good - because the crappy stuff is just way too overwhelming.

Rather than ignore the pain and struggles, let us acknowledge it.  Let us stand honestly with each other - and in the presence of God - and admit:  We're hurting.  We are lonely.  We are mad, God!  Why?!  Why is this how I feel?  And why do I feel like I am the only one to feel it?




I feel as alone and used up as this candle.
There is nothing left - no light, no structure, no warmth.
I have nothing left to give and I am hurting.



So God provides reminders - of God's own pain, as well as promises for the future:


From our loneliness and despair...



we find that we are not standing alone...



but instead we have others...



and together, our small flames can become light and warmth to those around us.

We are not alone.
And we do not have to do it all alone.

There is hope... even in the dark, bleak midwinter night.





Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment